Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Mock ASEAN Conference

Yesterday was the Mock ASEAN conference for the N6 cluster. It was great to be part of the team. My school represented Indonesia haha what a coincidence for me to represent my own country. In any case I was saboed chosen to be the Foreign Minister, in other words, the guy that has to give a 3 minute speech to summarise the results of the discussions(THX A BUNCH GUYS). Although I have been on stage many times before, this time was EXTREMELY frightening. Much of it was due to the fact that I had written down the wrong things for my speech! When I heard the other foreign ministers speaking, I was thinking "Oh crap, oh crap, oh crap, God help me," Fortunately, I was able to do an impromtu change on stage which involved scratching away the ENTIRE first half of my speech which I stayed up all night to prepare,(I could hear a tear through my heart)':) and changing it into something else. Fortunately when the chaiperson called for me, I was able to reply cooly in my most profesional and not monotonoust voice "Firstly, Indonesia would like to thank Laos and..." Haha, I could really imagine my heart wanting to eject out of my mouth and run out of the hall. I thank God for giving me the courage and quick-thinking to go up there and give a speech.

Here's a part of the conference many people do not know. While taking my place on stage, I talked with another Foreign minister that was sitting next to me and we were quite friendly toward each other and quietly encouraged one another before our speeches. After my nerve wrecking speech, we kept on communicating to each other on stage via writing whilst the other FMs were droning their speeches away. When she saw me doodling on my lecture pad she wrote on her paper
"Are you really that bored?" and I replied
"Nah just pretending to write" At this point, she was desperately trying to hold her laughter and fortunately, the lights were so glaring and the audience so bored that even if you broke into fits of laughter and rolled hysterically on the floor nearly no one would notice. Well it was an exciting conference all together(especially the free food:D) and I truly enjoyed it.

No comments: